Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Leopard Lizard

I took this photo on a trip out to the Valley of Fire, but just found out today that this lizard is called the Leopard Lizard. The Leopard Lizard is not friendly and will bite, not only will they bite us, but they will bite other Leopard Lizards. They are canabalistic! The females which are larger than the males, will consume the smaller males, if they are hungry. So how do they overcome this problem to actually mate? Well, during mating season the spots on the lizard turn red, indicating that it's okay to get close! It's amazing what you can learn on public TV!
-Wendi

5 comments:

Eric said...

I was first attracted to the photo, but the description was even more entertaining. No matter, I know a few people with red spots I wouldn't want to get close (lol).

Anonymous said...

Hi
How close did you have to get to take such a great photo.
I think I would need to be wearing very thick leather boots to even consider the shot, considering the LL's reputation!

Felicia said...

Great shot! This one looks like she is full on some of the little guys. There is some other female insect (I can't remember which one) that eats its mate after they mate.

Ham said...

So being colourblind would not be a great evolutionary move for these fellas, then....

Kala said...

so much for being a male! But what a coooool story!